I substituted for Linda Cronise. I do lots of hand appliqué, but I hadn’t done this particular method before the demo. I found a tutorial on-line to guide me.
More notes on my experiences:
- I use 50 weight silk thread matching the applique piece.
- Size 10 Straw Needles from Foxglove Cottage are my favorite.
- Clover needle threader
- DON’T clip any outside curves; just sweep the seam allowance under with your needle for 1 or 2 stitches at a time. You’ll get lovely smooth curves.
- Clip inside curves almost to the turn line. When sweeping under, pull it fairly tight to make it a smooth curve past the clip point.
- Points: this video is very similar to the way I do my corners. Except — she omits my cheat of an “eyelash” stitch straight out from the end of the point to fool the eye about the point sharpness. The video shows inside corners as well.
We had an appliqué demo in 2011 as well. Use that as another perspective on the process.
— Susan Kraterfield